Update on my annual and Q1 goals? Here we are. Things are a little on pause due to that whole minor broken-back thing, but you know. I just now have a lot of free time… right?
- Prioritize experiences over things
- Money spent on lessons, clinics, learning and the occasional non-horse related things as opposed to money spent on another pair of breeches, a cute pair of shoes, etc.
- Status: mostly good? Signed up for event camp, taking lessons, spending money on x-rays and MRIs… those are experiences, right?
- Fewer, better things
- Yeah, I stole Cuyana‘s tagline, whatevs. Obviously I can’t live with one pair of socks, but do I really need (another) candle? How many jackets does the dog really need? This goes hand in hand with the next goal…
- Status: I’m a B student? Definitely haven’t been shopping as much, but to say I haven’t had a few weak moments would be a lie.
- Declutter life
- More than likely, move 9 in 9 years is coming in the spring (locally, thank God). Despite this ridiculous number of moves, I still have a little bit of moving PTSD and too much stuff. I want to declutter all the stuff before I move it all… again. Notice all three of these are related.
- Status: Doing well! I’ve been through about half of my life/house and the last half should be getting knocked out here before I move.
- Prioritize finances where they matter
- Um, also relates to number 1. A lot. But more than that, I want to add more to my 401k this year, I want to pay more on my car, more on my student loans and add to my savings accounts. When it comes down to it, I need very few things at this point – food, gas, the regular living expenses. And yeah, it’s less fun to put money in a 401k than it is to see the UPS man deliver a package, but it’s also more responsible and now is the time to do it.
- Status: Doing better. B+ student?
Quarter 1 Goals:
Ride even when it’s cold, don’t be a weenie amateur
- I am a cold weather wimp. And while there are certainly times where it’s too cold to leave the house (ahem, -3), I also need to man up and utilize all the layers I own and the indoor arena. Even if it’s 20 minutes at the walk and trot without stirrups, or a bareback ride, it’s all going to help come spring.
- Totally did this. Go me.
Do not buy any apparel, riding or otherwise, in the month of January.
- Uh, self-explanatory
- Status: One slip up and it was for work pants because I lost weight and none of mine fit? But then I gained it back and now they don’t fit, so idk what to say about this. So 90% accomplished?
Keep working without stirrups at least one ride a week
- Status: Did this! Until you know… I stopped riding.
- Eat real meals
- Look, I’m not sure why I’m not allowed to subsist on quesadillas and popcorn, but apparently I’m not.
- Status: HAHAHAHA
- Even if it’s just going up and down the stairs at work 7 times, I know this helps with the winter blues
- Status: Minus some lazy Sundays and post-injury hurting, did this!
- Read 20 books
- 13 weeks, 20 books. Should be do-able if I prioritize books over bad television.
- Status: Sucked at this. Read 5 books. Don’t worry, I now have LOTS of time to read.
Get a haircut
- Status: Completed. Hallelujah.
Have Fin deshedded once monthly
- Status: He hasn’t needed it monthly, but I’ve had it done. He’s about due again, but he also just cost me $500 with his little ICU stunt last week, so he’s gonna have to wait.